Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Short Story #7: First rain.




The sky was turning grey, as she left the house, locking the door and rushing as she heard the lift close. She knew it was about to rain, yet she hoped to reach the mall before it poured in. She hopped on her scooter and looked up at the dark sky.

“15 minutes, please..” she said, looking up, pleadingly, as it started to drizzle.

12 minutes and 4 kilometres later, she stopped at the entrance of the mall to realize that she was completely wet. The rain was lashing out and she was wondering how she could sit through a movie with wet cold clothes.

“Isha.. Ishaa!!”, she heard someone yell her name.

She turned to see Akhil, standing right there at the entrance. She waved back as he ran towards her with a small smile, ‘Hey.. Riya just messaged to say she can’t make it, thanks to the rain… looks like it’s just the two of us. Are you sure you want to watch the movie now while you freeze through 123 minutes?”

“Haha.. but I want to watch ‘WARCRAFT’!”, she said, with an almost-innocent pout on her lips.
In less than a few nano-seconds, her face brightened up. “Akhil, why don’t we go to Worli sea face? It would be awesome in rain”, she beamed.

“ARE YOU CRAZY? Sea face?! Now?? Isha, it’s raining cats and dogs”, exclaimed Akhil, perplexed.

“I know, ha, that’s the point. First rain of this monsoon. Well, honestly, I haven’t done something as crazy before. Let’s go. We are already wet and what we have got to lose?! Such a romantic weather!”, said Isha, with child-like excitement in her eyes, “No, I promise I am not hitting on you,”, she giggled as she nudged him.

A few seconds later, Akhil hopped on her scooter and they were on their way to Worli. It was a 25-minute ride in heavy rain, while they spoke very less. They had been friends for six months now. Isha had confessed she had a crush on him, she loved his company and she just loved having him as a friend. Akhil too loved the company of this 23-year year old cheerful girl. She was a great friend, someone who would smother him with attention.

Isha carefully made her way through the wet roads to the seaface, parked the vehicle and they hurried across to the other side.

Isha gasped at the view of the sky from there. Dark angry clouds, lightning running vertically from the sky to the sea, the faint view of the sea link. The sea seemed to be unfolding into nowhere beyond, like the sea and sky weren’t any different. As the thunders clapped, the rain got more aggressive.

Isha loved what she was experiencing. As they walked in rain, she couldn’t stop exclaiming, ‘Oh my God, this is so beautiful.. I’m loving this..”, and Akhil couldn’t help not noticing the twinkle in her eyes as she said that repeatedly.

He was enjoying this moment. It was a perfect scene, like in the movies, he thought. He watched as a lot of people had joined them there. Many couples and families who wanted to celebrate the first rain of the year were gathered there. The city’s spirit was unbeatable.

When he was snapping out of some thoughts, he noticed Isha crying. He could see her red eyes swelling with tears.

‘Hey..are you alright? Why are you crying?’, he asked, holding her by her shoulders and looking into her eyes.

“I’m..I’m just overwhelmed.. I guess, this is too much to take in..’, she sobbed, “being a brontophobic (phobia of thunders/lightning), I have spent all my life fearing thunders.. I remember how I trembled every time a thunder clapped.. in the last few years, I have consciously overcome my fears.. I have come a long way.. and today, I am here, relishing every bit of this moment, not scared of the loud thunders anymore”.

Akhil just hugged her right there, not knowing what to say.

“I’m so proud of you, Isha. Yes, you have come a long way and I’m glad you are enjoying this right now”, he said, watching her sobs pause.

For the next ten minutes, they walked in silence, just watching the waves crash on the rocks. They sat there for a while, in one of the lonely benches.

Isha decided to break the silence. “I am loving this day..so overwhelming.. I’m so happy right now, I feel like singing aloud”.

Akhil laughed, but encouraged her to sing. Isha sang rain-songs from Bollywood and definitely gained a lot of attention from the passers-by. He loved seeing her happy. In fact, that’s what drew him to her, she was always happy and vibrant. Being an introvert himself, he appreciated someone who can be so lively.

“I wish I could make the time pause for a while now, I want this to last longer”, she said, tch-ing.
She looked into the eyes of Akhil and said, “Akhil, you know how much this means to me, right? Spending some quality time with you”, she smiled. He nodded, understandingly.

“I don’t mean to make you uncomfortable, but I just thought I’ll let you know, you mean so much to me. I like you, I care for you and I expect nothing but your company as a friend”, she smiled sweetly.
He drew a great deep breath before he began. “I know.. I understand. And Isha, I did mention to you that I have a crush on someone, weren’t you ever curious to know who it is?”, he asked.

“No, not at all”, smiled Isha, looking down at her shoes and picking something of out of the bench, subconsciously. “Akhil.. I never wanted to know much. I like you, and I have told you how I felt. Your relationship with anyone doesn’t matter to me. I like your company and I demand no more than that. In fact, when I don’t know who your crush is, I am happy thinking of the tiny possibility that it could be me. I don’t want to break that mysterious bubble of happiness”.

“Let’s go..I’m hungry, we should stop for some breakfast”, she chirped and started walking towards the scooter.

Akhil smiled and agreed. He followed her, still letting all her words sink in. He thought he shouldn’t wait any longer before he told her that it was her. He was excited.

  

4 comments: